Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Living in Fear

My neighbor, 3o years, three TBI's and about 4000 brain cells ago.

Today we went over emergency situations at our school's staff training. Just as the principal, (who kicks ass, by the way) mentioned earthquakes, we got hit by one. It was small but noticeable and I can expect many more. Then I got a giggle fit when he said we have axes, picks, and shovels in our preparedness kit, in case we have to dig our way out after. You wouldn't hear that in San Francisco. At one point they started talking about making sure we have enough masks in each class and I realized they're for the ash when the volcanoes erupt. Last year the community had a shooting 3 blocks from the school and one at the hospital. Our assignment of roles in an emergency includes a mortician and search and rescue. Gangsta.
But, all that is nothing compared to the fear I felt when I saw my new neighbor loitering around my apartment. When we met yesterday, she was carrying a poodle thing on her hip and speaking to it in that dumbass way that kooks do. She was having a little trouble walking and then she looked at me...crazy eye to the max. She informed me that she's had three brain injuries because she "just keeps falling on the concrete" and would have to write my name down on a sticky note. From the way she was acting and the cup she was holding, I can guess what the contributing factor to those falls was. Anyway, Old Kooky Hooch Guzzler has a million potted flowers outside. Kinda spruces up the place but I can see she's trying to creep over towards my crappy lawn chair and butt can area. Hopefully she'll forget we met and won't keep talking to me but that's just not the way it goes in my world.

No comments: