Monday, October 26, 2009

When the rivers freeze and summer ends

I'll be frank, Fairbanks is freakin ugly. The downtown area shows promise but many of the buildings are empty. The rest of the city looks pretty industrial and since there are no zoning laws, you can find a strip joint in the middle of a neighborhood. Not that I was looking for a strip joint. The church below used to be on the other side of the river until one year it froze and locals pushed it across the ice.

Got a little homesick when I saw the this. The Elbo Room in SF is a fun bar in the Mission where I've seen some cool live music. I love the Mission. I do not love that my ticket home for Christmas cost me 1200 bucks.



















The ALaskan Pipeline. I've been against posting photos of my face but I figure all 5 of you reading this already know what I look like. Here I am, pointing out my tiny Burrough, as compared to the entire gigantic state.



The Silver Gulch Brewery is pretty decent. The Angry Monkey Barley Wine and pumpkin beer ice cream were more than decent. At the Howling Dog, the divier place across the street, I learned the term "tundra wookie." Like the wildabeast of the North, apparently.

We took our ice glasses back to Mike and Kelly's after the ice museum. In a few weeks I want them to put the glasses out on the porch and see how long they last. I'm thinking March.

No comments: