Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Fun

I met Kelly and Mike on Friday at a gas station on the side of the highway, two hours from my house. We were a little worried about timing since cell reception is nonexistent in most of the area but it worked out perfectly.

Found a campsite at Bertha Creek and got our campfire going. After a late night of a little pyromania and some Fairbanks beer, we were up with the sun and ready for a glacier hike.


Walking on the glacier.

Eating the glacier.


Played on the glacier for awhile and then hit the Wildlife Refuge in Girdwood. Even though all the signs said no petting, I'll admit, we scratched the nose of a small, friendly moose. Just like Bullwinkle.
Definitely not this one. Big, bloody rack and quite the 'tude on this guy. Little scary, I gotta tell ya.
All the animals were either wounded or orphaned. This bald eagle had been shot and is being rehabed.
The camp host at Bertha Creek said we might see a "Blackie" roaming the campground. I prefer the kind behind a fence myself.After the Refuge we drove back to town for some Kenai beer tasting and pizza at the brewery. I'll post Sunday's pictures of Homer later but the best shots are in front of the Time Bandit. If you aren't familiar with Deadliest Catch, you just don't know. I was immediately on the look out for Mike Rowe in case he was doing voice over work locally but no luck. Some day, Mike, someday

1 comment:

little sister said...

you would have DIED to see some of the Mike shots I saw this weekend. Two shirtless ones, one he was bathing himself, the other a girl was helping him. I can't believe you did OUR glacier hike and animal refuge with someone else, you cheated on me!! It looks as cool as I thought it would be. We will have to do it when I come back! Glad you had a good weekend