Sunday, September 27, 2009

Berry Picking

Suited up, ready for some hands free, bear free pickin'!
First stop, Tsalteshi Trails

for cranberries,
wild chickens and moose poo. They make jewelry out of the droppings in Talkeetna.











Then on to Skilak Lake for Highbush cranberries.


and a hike to a gorgeous view of Kenai Canyon.

Look at the color of that water! Apparently it's the glacial silt.
Beautiful.


Awesome Fall colors and, if you look closely, Redoubt Volcano in the background.
The fruit of my labor. The dark ones will be baked into cranberry orange spice bread and the light ones have already been juiced and made into a simple syrup/juice concoction. Way too bitter without adding the sugar.

6 comments:

little sister said...

Ah the old berry picking milk jug. You need one of grandpa's belts thought and a few more jugs. Picking the berries was always my favorite.

The fall colors are so pretty.

Did you buy any poo jewelry?

Karyn said...

Poo jewelry is not on my birthday list. I want to be clear.

debacled said...

Ah crap (literally), I just put it int the mail.

Kelly T said...

Might you be making kick ass Cosmos with that cran syrup... hmmmm?!?!

Kelly T said...

Why does this blog make me type in stupid word verifications like "retchi"? Dumb.
Oh yeah, and I didn't get any poo jewelry, but I did buy Poo-pourri in Talkeetna. No joke. It's for my mom.

Debacled said...

maybe "retchi" because of all the poo comments?
Poo-pourri?!! perfect holiday follow-up gift to the poo jewelry.
I'm drinking a kick-ass crantini as I speak. Type. whatever.