Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fishing with Bears

So I'm taking a fly fishing class at the local JC taught by Dave Atcheson, author of "Fishing Alaska's Kenai Peninsula." The latest article he gave us, entitled "Fishing With Bears" from the Fish Alaska Magazine, says he's a contributing editor. More on bears later.
So far I've learned about what weight pole to use for what fish, how to tie a lead line, how to approach a river and we're beginning to perfect our casting techniques. Dave says I'm a bit "wristy" so I gotta practice a tighter arm. It's all in the elbow, apparently. I've also learned I kick ass at tieing (is that a word? How did I ever become an SLP?) knots. I've got the Blood, Surgeon, Palomar and Clinch knots down. Just need to practice now and then as we all know how my memory works. Or doesn't.
My classmates are all nice, easy going gents plus one other female and a gaysian who's so cheerfully out of place that he absolves any need I might have to be self conscious. I love it when that happens.
So about the bears. Had a terrifying conversation today. Since we've finally hit Spring, they're out and about. Co-workers and friends who know I want to hike and are trying to make sure I'm "Bear Aware" decided to share a few stories of friends that have been mauled. "She had to hike to the road with her scalp hanging, dripping blood." is one statement that'll stick with me. WTF? They say unless you're extremely comfortable with a gun, don't even bother but a 12 gauge is supposedly the best defense. Although I've handled guns, I'm sure as hell no expert. I'm just not sure that the "make yourself big" thing and the bear mace and air horn is enough.
My new boss has been here 2 summers and has seen 54 bears while on weekend river rafting trips. My new friend has been here 18 years and has seen four. I'm hoping I have his luck.

4 comments:

Karyn said...

Just when I'd forgotten that there was danger there. Awesome about your class. I'll just envision you in "A River Runs Through It" whenever a bear attack tries to take over my phobic filled brain.

Debacled said...

Well, Brad will be there and in "Legends of the Fall" he wrestled a grizzly so I think he could save me.

M. Kasch said...

Okay. We're going gun shopping at Walmart soon! :-)

little sister said...

You shouldn't have a problem with making yourself big :)
I hope you have the luck of seeing few and from a distance.
The scalp hanging off, dripping blood comment is going to stick w/ me too.