Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The American Dream

The shock of moving to Alaska comes from more than the wind chill. A "lower 48er" definitely needs time to get used to the building aesthetic up here. Many homes were built piece by piece by their occupants, Tyvek is a decorating statement and the main area is often an old single wide. Lots of people are living in dry cabins which means an outhouse with showers at the laundry mat. Some, hell a lot, of these places aren't even accessible by car most of the year. I've seen those listed as "drive, park and ride" because you drive to the nearest road, park your truck and ride your snowmobile in.
After a few months, you get used to it and begin to admire the do it yourself ingenuity of this population. And besides, my American Dream has never included 2.5 kids and a house that impresses the neighbors but one I can't pay for. So when I stumbled upon a cabin off a maintained road sitting on 1.64 acres with septic, gas, electric and phone already in place and a block from a huge lake for a hell of a price, I decided to go for it. With my very supportive friend and would-be "neighbor" (3 miles is a stones throw up here) behind me of course. I met with the realtor and began dreaming of bamboo flooring, recycled glass countertops and bathroom, a chicken coop and a small green house. How freakin' cool would that be?! Plus, I'm telling you, the price is Uh May Zing. I know it would be a bigger headache than I expected and I know there would be lots of time spent in tears but I think the payoff, even at the short time I expect to stay here, would be unbelievable. All this dreaming and scheming has taken up a lot of brain space over the last few days but today I met with the mortgage lender and he basically pissed on my parade. Turns out the property doesn't qualify for traditional financing and my only other option is one that includes a 40% down payment. Even with a kick ass job and no leeches (aka kids) roaming around, I'm sad to report that I don't have $15,000 sitting under my mattress. Now if you're smart, you're doing the math and realizing that this property is cheaper than most assholes in Southern CA spend on their cars. Chances are slim to none it could still work out but, the life lesson that I never seem to learn is: "Don't get your hopes up."
So. looks like my Alaskan/American dream is not yet going to materialize and I am sorely disappointed but I guess there's always tomorrow. Someday, I'll post pictures of some Alaskan chateaus and show you what I mean about the particular style up here.

9 comments:

M. Kasch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karyn said...

Wait, no sister of mine gives up after a scant two days of work. Get busy! Make it work, and if not that one, then another one.

Beth O said...

hi Deb...Marianne's Mamma here: There are other ways to get the $15,000 plus the financing! Our motto is "go down every road possible until you have to say YES or NO". You might find a solution yet. Good luck.

Jade said...

Debdo...I am starting to get scared. You graduated, you got a grown-up job and your looking at buying a house. Look out world, Deb's a big girl now!!!! This is very exciting.....find a way to buy it and I will come be your live in house cleaner and cook!! I will even plant a garden!

Debacled said...

Welcome Marianne's Mama! My mom doesn't visit ever since I called her a blog stalker. I should invite her back.
Thanks for the advice, all is appreciated. Looks like a loan from a private lender might come through and this could all work out after all. But you are right, persevere!

Jade, I still have the worst case of Peter Pan Syndrome you've ever seen. Once you see this place, you'll understand. I can't WAIT to start a garden!

M. Kasch said...

Jade, this is Deb's friend (the one who's encouraging her to go for this.) Before you offer to be her live-in-maid, wait until she posts pictures of it! Ha! :-)
But I'm still encouraging her. It's a FUN project!

little sister said...

not getting your hopes up is not an option. I say live in your emotions they are the only things that are ever truly yours.

Jade said...

I've cleaned some nasty ass places and I am sure it won't be bad...you get this place deb and I am coming this summer!!!!

Debacled said...

I love you, Little Sister.