Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bright Lights, Big City

Went to Anchorage last weekend. Maggie O'Connell and I made the three hour drive on Friday night. It's light now 'til about 5:30 so we got a good chunk of it done before dark. Although not enough to keep me from driving into oncoming traffic at one point. Oops.
Had dinner with her friends who were preparing for a 25 mile bike race through a blizzard the next day. Who does that? I have never, ever had many athletic friends and was a little intimidated at being in a roomful of "those types." So impressive.
Then met up with a new friend (good things can come of on-line dating sites). We went with his co-worker to the best gay bar in Anchorage. There are two gay bars in Anchorage.
Between the drag queens, the gaysians doing cheers and the awesome fashion choices, I felt so at home. I could've stayed all night just watching people of all different persuasions doing what they do.
The next day I went to a real mall. In my town, there's only one place to go if you want to go clothes shopping so a mall is a BIG deal. I hit about three stores before I was completely over-stimulated and needed a nap. So old.
When Kelly and Mike got there (6 hr drive from Fairbanks!!), we went to Humpy's Alehouse for dinner and then....on to the BEER FEST! 60 breweries +a tiny glass + a book full of drink tickets = heaven. The best beers were a coffee porter from Midnight Sun brewery and a chocolate stout from Rogue brewery. Total awesomness! I have to go now because Dirty Jobs is on and my boyfriend is in Alaska doin' weird things to a moose.

1 comment:

M. Kasch said...

I'm Maggie O'Connell? My dreams have come true!