Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Slicker 'n Sweat on a Doorknob

That's how the local DJ described the roads this morning after an accident closed a major roadway. I don't know anything about sweat on a doorknob but considering how much my car was sliding around, I'd say it's pretty damn slick.
In an effort to recover from all the fun I've been having lately, I'm going to save the posting for another night and get into bed with a good book. Which reminds me, I wanted to do a little book review here. I read The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and loved it. It's about 4 siblings who grow up in extremely adverse conditions and is written by the third sib. It's no wonder I loved it, right? We may not have faced the conditions this family did (I think the first line of the book was something like, "I'm three years old and I'm on fire.") but we went through a lot and the book made me miss my brother and sisters. There's a point where she's describing a neighborhood brawl they get into and I actually had to put it down for a few minutes, I was all verklempt. Ah, the days of getting scrappy with bullies in defense of the sibs. Kind of like New Years really so I guess some things never change. Anyhow, the Glass Castle. Read it, you'll love it. Goodnight.

4 comments:

little sister said...

I will add it to my list. I am reading Galapagos on brother's recomendation right now (I swear I've already read it though). Next is Red Tent suggested by big sis, then the middle niece and I will book club my favorite, Les Miserables. THEN I will read Glass Castle. Oh I also have the third of the Twighlight saga to read

Debacled said...

Screw Twilight, I can't believe you succumbed to that crap.
I'm 595 pages into "Alaska" by James Michener. It's 868 pages.
Next is hopefully "The People of the Book" might be awhile.

Karyn said...

brother and i were just reminiscing last week about some of those scrapy encounters. oh, the good old days!

M. Kasch said...

I finished The Glass Castle last night. What a great book. The author leaves awesome, vivid pictures in your mind. If it ever comes out on video, I refuse to watch it.
Right now I'm reading The Omnivor's Dilemma.
Fun times!