Thursday, March 18, 2010

Full Circle Farm

On Kelly's suggestion I just signed up for produce delivery from Full Circle Farm. The fruits and vegetables are all grown organically in Washington state and shipped to members in WA and AK. You get a mixture of seasonal products but can sub out stuff you hate which are very few things for me.

Living in Alaska seriously enlarges your carbon footprint. Almost every single thing that's up here had to be shipped from the Lower 48 or beyond. Eating local is difficult and in the winter, pretty much impossible. Unless you're REALLY in to canned salmon and cabbage. So this option seems like the most responsible choice. I'm pretty excited about getting a big box of fresh fruits and veggies every other week. Along with my eggs from locally raised chickens and my meat from the local butcher, I feel proud to support environmentally responsible businesses and much better about what goes into my body. Ever since that summer school writing class at SFSU which I shouldn't have been in but read "The Herbivores Dilemma" and "Fast Food Nation," I've thought a lot more about these issues and how our national health is tied to SO many bad decisions when it comes to food. (But obviously got no guidance on my punctuation problem.) I mean, McDonald's was the official "restaurant" of the Olympics?? Disgusting! And completely ridiculous.

Anyhow, got any good recipes for rutabagas?

Correction: OMNIVORE'S Dilemma. duh. Guess I was thinking too much about produce.

4 comments:

M. Kasch said...

If you end up with more veggies than you need, I'm happy to split a box with you! I'm curious to what's gonna be inside.

Debacled said...

You'll definitely be getting some veggies. All you have to do is remind me to pick them up at the drop site on Wednesdays. I can't wait for us to start exploring recipes for leeks and bok choy.

Karyn said...

http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/02/alexs-moms-stuffed-cabbage/

Anonymous said...

You would be surprised at the # of McDonalds that we saw in Italy, mostly in Rome. Have you gotten your veggies yet? Guess Who!