Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A Reputation to Uphold

Many people were wearing/displaying their country's flag as a sign of support and patriotism, which I completely understand. However, there are Do's and Don'ts to displaying your country's flag. Sadly, it was mostly the Americans that missed that memo.

High and proud? Do.

P.S. Onstage is the Canadian musician I met the next day when Jessie Rae told him I was a huge fan. He hugged me. Chest level, of course. And gave me a bookmark. Look him up on Itunes, Kuba Oms. I forgot to tell him that JR and I decided he'd be the perfect frontman to bring back the tambourine. Seriously, he could do it.

Dirty, ripped beer napkin? Don't.

The breeze wasn't cooperating but the guy on the right had a big hole in his flag and both Brad and Chad obviously allowed them to drag on the ground.

Then there were the roving bands of frat boy idiots.

Why, people? Isn't America's reputation tarnished enough? It seems whenever there was a ruckus we could always count on turning to see some of our "finest" HeyBros doing their best to make sure it'll always stay that way. I discussed this with a German gentleman and his conclusion, paraphrased, is that I just perceive things to be that way because I'm American and the embarrassing comments stick out more. He said Germans are disliked in Europe but loved all over the rest of the world but he feels he pays more attention to the negative comments. No disrespect to Deutschland, just repeating what I was told.

Anyhow, what do you think about lack of Flag Etiquette? Disgrace, over reaction, non-issue?
In an international setting such as the Olympics, I would've liked to have seen our citizens show a bit more respect for our flag. It's no coincidence, of course, that the perpetrators were all young, dumb and full of fun. Everyday I'm just a little bit happier to be past my 20's.

No comments: