Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Abilify

I ended up going to Anchorage last weekend for part of the SpEd conference and am very happy with my decision. Not only did I get the most kick ass pair of boots, but I went to a really inspiring presentation. The speaker was Jennifer White, director of a company called Able Opportunities. As far as I can gather, because I'm really bad at paying attention to details, her company helps people with disabilities succeed in their environments. Educationally, occupationally, whatever's needed. Actually it's probably more like she teaches the morons in the individual's environment to recognize their abilities and get out of the way of their success. And by morons I mean the very well intentioned, able bodied people who can't really comprehend the world in any way other than their way. Of which I'm one, so don't go getting all offended.
She told the story about a deaf/blind woman the company consulted with to help employ at a hospital. This woman made it her job to put together surgical kits and even modified some of the tubing and such to the surgeon's specifications. Trust me, when you have 8-10 inches of hard plastic tubing being ripped out of body, you really wish someone had taken the time to trim that shit down. Anyhow, when her job was finally outsourced, four departments in the hospital recruited her. Now that's a success story.
The presentation made me think a lot about language therapy tasks for adults with aphasia and also about my friends from BORP (Bay Area Outreach Recreation Program) and how much practice you need to think of the world outside of your own experiences.
So, a weekend well spent, not to mention that I got to go to a cheap theater that serves pizza and beer. Heaven! Saw The Road, pretty damn depressing movie although the kid annoyed the crap out of me. "MAN UP!" That's all I kept thinking. I think maybe they cast the wrong aged kid. That, and I'm a cold hearted bitch with a lump of coal in my chest. Had we established that fact yet?
The BOOTS! They're perfect, like the holy grail for me really. Flats with a round toe, fit like a glove and even though they're tall, they don't flop around my stick legs like a pair of galoshes. Oh yeah!
Oh goodness, I almost forgot the Bacon of the Month. Seawick and I (my friend who I met off the internet and in person one time but still offered up his house for me to stay at and is not a rapist, weirdo or freak) went to dinner at Spenard's Roadhouse and they have a Bacon of the Month. Carmalized bacon with, wait for it.... chocolate sauce. So good. So, so good. Now I'm wondering if I can get back every month. Hmmm, Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey.

3 comments:

Karyn said...

I laughed too loud and too long about the "paying attention to details" part. Husband says we're messed up. He should know.

Boots! That fit? You can't be serious. That's fantastic.

I've heard somewhere recently (reference 1st paragraph) that you can join a bacon of the month club and get it shipped right to your house. You should google it.

Kelly T said...

You don't have to stuff paper in one of the boots? Crazy...

Debacled said...

welllll, there's still that one little problem. Maybe material for a future post called "Freakish Facts."