Saturday, March 19, 2011

I <3 Juneau




Bear eating my head at the state Capitol building.



Rode the bus to a stop on a highway and then walked 1.5 miles to the Mendenhall Glacier down a very wet road. My boots were still soaked a day later. Had to document Kelly's pit stop on the way but I missed the part where she sank knee deep in the snow. Why rent a car when you can have an adventure with a dear friend?



The Mendenhall Glacier



More glacier


Waited an hour for the bus at the glacier stop make it to the Alaskan Brewery where the samples flow freely and the employees offer rides so tourists don't have to wait for the bus again.


Instead we got picked up by Joseph. A nice guy with a case of Labatt Blue under his seat and an aversion to seatbelts. He gave us a tour of Douglass and offered to take us home to meet his wife. Thanks, maybe next time. I love meeting the locals.



Went to dinner at The Hanger and were surprised by a full bagpipe band. Best St. Patrick's Day ever. More later but now I have to find the hostel and I have a date with the most ominous set of stairs I've ever seen.

3 comments:

M. Kasch said...

I'm glad about it, but I seriously can't believe that you've had such a blast in Juneau! Of all places!
Now, I kinda want to see it. . .
See you soon,
MO

little sister said...

You look really pretty in the picture of you two at the glacier.

Sounds like a great trip.

I was thinking about you two and put up the picture of all of us at the restaurant in Little Italy

Debacled said...

Miss you