Saturday, September 4, 2010

Halibut Trip

Here's what a halibut boat out on the Cook Inlet looks like. Looks pretty calm, right? Not so much. I had my head in the trash can the whole trip and I NEVER get motion sick.

As the boat rocked, I feared for my life. The railing went to about lower thigh on me. Just high enough to be completely ineffective. This little shorty could even put a foot up and still be confident she wouldn't go overboard. I could barely keep my hands on the pole and off the railing.

The guys working hard at getting a fish on so I could reel it in and say I caught a halibut. Thank you.

End of the trip. The conditions were so rough we had to go in early and take whatever we got. Keepers are usually around 60 lbs and I've met people who have caught 2 and 3 hundred pounders. Actually, these little guys produced a lot more meat than I imagined. Who's coming over for a fish fry?
I was so exhausted from the week with the girls and getting up at an ungodly hour to get to the boat, my shirt is totally on backwards and I didn't have a clue. Too busy heaving I guess.

3 comments:

Jade said...

shirt on backwards...that is so you

little sister said...

That does NOT look calm. I am motion sick just from reading this! You know what you needed? Some of the behind the ear medicine

little sister said...

P.S. I LOVE the name of the company and don't doubt that is how you chose it