Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Solitary


Being at this house has been really peaceful. Everyday I walk the dog down to the frozen river and soak in the silence and solitude. Tonight there were four moose grazing across the river and I watched them for a bit before they spooked and lumbered back into the trees. I take pictures, trying to capture the way the light changes the color of the snow from white to pink to blue. None of them convey what I'd like to - the silence, the stillness, the contentment.
The sun is returning at about 5 minutes per day. It's still dark in the mornings but I can go walking in visible light until 6:30PM. That time when the light is just hanging on and the snow and sky turn almost purple is my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I'm still counting down the days to summer but it's nice in the quiet and the cold too.
On a side note, I did also realize that only two people in this country know where I am right now. Peace and solitude for sure.

3 comments:

M. Kasch said...

am I one of the people? If not, add me. That makes three. :-)
I love your pictures. They're amazing. I'm the sally who sits at home and looks at the Alaska nature by looking at your blog. Yep. That's me.

Debacled said...

DO you want to go to the T-200 this weekend? We can make it a two year tradition.
You are one of them. You and Barb.

Karyn said...

beautiful.