Monday, August 2, 2010

Visit 1

I can't post anything because the internet is so fucking slow that I get halfway through it and need to be somewhere. So, here are some photos from the first day. There are more and text to go with them but I'm meeting some friends to gather fireweed for jelly and possibly go fishing.

Now that I'm done whining and gathering fireweed, I will elaborate. I was going to try to do a day to day narrative of all the stuff we did but I really can't keep the days straight. I know the first day we had breakfast at Snow City and walked on the Coastal Trail in Anchorage. Then we had an epic REI visit where I bought my new Aethos 70 Osprey BadAss Backpack. Then...

We rode the tram to the top of the Alyeska ski range where you can see something like 7 glaciers and can actually pay $295 to paraglide down. None of us had that kind of money but....
J-lo has that kind of balls. She really wanted to and ended up regretting not doing it but she was in Peru weeks later probably happy to have the 300 bucks.

You can see these pools from the tram. They were left after the glacier moved through and are up to 30ft deep. Really makes me wonder what could be living in there.

This sign is posted and the end of the tram were all the skiers would gather and it cracks me up.

There was also a little museum/visitor center up there with some gold panning exhibit. After Alyeska we went into the town of Girdwood were they were having the North Forrest Fair. It was a hippie paradise with all handcrafted goods, two entertainment stages, local beer and delicious food, all tucked into a lush green forrest. Very cool but kind of a hippie overload. Then...
We drove to lovely Hope were we saw the sights (there's about 2) and had some really good food and pie at Tito's. I'm not really sure why I love Hope but I still love it.Maybe it's the scenery. Ok, off to go fishing again.

1 comment:

little sister said...

Can you believe it has been exactly 1 year since you started this crazy journey?? HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I will call you soon. I am almost leaving work.