Tuesday, June 15, 2010

They Call Me Mellow Yellow

I love this place that I'm house sitting. Love the deck, the spa, the grill, the perfect little size (1bdrm, 1bth with a sleeping loft), the neighbors, the wooded neighborhood so close to the river. Love the dogs, the roses, watching the veggies come in. Love almost everything. Except the cat that yells at me all the time, and the water situation.
The house is on a holding tank which means it's not connected to the city sewer. All the water and waste that leaves the house goes into a tank underground that's pumped out by a big truck when needed. Since the owners told me they can last 55 days without needing to be pumped, I naturally have a need to out-do them. So now I'm paranoid about my water usage and maybe a little militant. Sometimes. Sometimes I just want to wash my hands with HOT water, damn it. And anyone who's ever lived with me knows how much I like hot showers. On Facebook there's a group called "I stand aimlessly in the shower for ages just to be warm" or some shit. That's totally me, I've been known to take a beer and snacks in there. Thankfully, I can hop in the spa whenever I want. It's my saving grace. Particularly when getting home from a weekend of camping with an inch of dirt under my fingernails and so much grime caked into my skin that it looks like I might actually have a tan.
I think I can relax though. I've been here 23 days, have 28 to go and haven't even come close to hitting the halfway mark on the holding tank. How do I know? Because I checked it, kinda like checking the oil in your car. If you want to be all Independent Woman like, sometimes you gotta dipstick a bunch of raw sewage. I can deal with that, I'm just going to use some pretty scented soap afterwards.

3 comments:

little sister said...

did you really bathe in the spa? You know all that dirt will be in there the next time you get in. All I can picture is the disgusting spa with foam on top from my first year at yearbook camp. You could actually scrape it off with a cup. Atterberry called it a sesspool. I can feel the disgusted look on my face.

M. Kasch said...

:-) Next, you can come and use a dipstick in our crib. Now that would be fun! (We've never done it. . . You'd be the first!) Convinced yet?

Debacled said...

bathing would include soap, so no. I did not bathe in the spa. I soaked. And it's a self cleaning, private spa so don't gross me out like that.

Marianne, I think I'll wait til you're talking about a baby crib, not a shit crib. Same diff though, probably.