Thursday, June 2, 2011

What would you do if I sang out of tune?

Lately, I have not been inspired to do this blog thing. My reader (singular) tells me it's time to post new material so I'll give an update.
I've accepted a job in Monterey, Ca beginning August 8. I have many mixed emotions about this which could be a contributing factor for this writer's block.
Alaska has been my home for 2 years and my friends here have become family. The thought of leaving is hard. On the other hand, it will be unbelievably nice to be close to my immediate family again.
Everyone tells me that Alaska gets in your blood. That once you've lived here, you'll always come back. I believe that to be true and there's already the option to come back next summer and pet sit for theses same labs. But, life has a crazy way of throwing out twists and turns and sometimes it's near impossible to get back to that one sweet spot. Lucky for me it always seems to work out, thanks to the friends who find me along the way.
Anyhow, turns out I'll be making the drive down the ALCAN because the job starts much earlier than anticipated and the ferry is no longer an option. Although everyone and their mother seems to be overly concerned about this, I don't mind. It's going to be long and boring but with a pace set that many people would not want to endure. You can help me out by giving me music and audiobook suggestions. 10-12 hours a day in the car leaves a lot of time for sing alongs.

3 comments:

Karyn said...

see there's a reason why i never sent your bday present last year...it's prefect for this year. 2 She & Him CD's, an M. Ward and I'll throw in the new Adelle. They should all serve you well on that long drive.

I think you are very lucky to live in all the places you have and to have made such good friends in each spot. I know you feel the same way. It really is a gift. Corny as that sounds.

Jade said...

You are going to need a break from that long, long drive. There will be a bed, shower, and meal waiting for you in portland. Just let me know your estimated arrival time. See ya in 3 days

Anonymous said...

I know that it will be difficult to leave Alaska and your friends, but all of us down in the lower 48,(but those of us in Northern Calif) are sure looking forward to your return!! I know that you have more than one reader, and we all look forward to your blog. Hope it continues on and on and on! I agree with Karyn, you are a very lucky lady to have soo many friends who love you! I'm sure that your traveling days are far from over!! My Love, Anonymom