Thursday, June 23, 2011

Busy Bee

Ta-DAH!!!

Best part of the day! The "widgin." My adult Peter Pan hideaway fantasy come true.

Imagine the rowdy pirate parties.
The hike. The two streaks in the water are otters.
Beach Treasures
Beautiful table where we ate a delicious lunch feast. Still would have preferred the pirate table.

I have 10 minutes before work and have promised myself I would get something new up here. I've been very busy with summer and apologize for my negligence. We have about 22 hours of daylight right now and with a job (ok, partime job), dogs, flowers, guests, friends, etc, I'm burning them all.
My friend Jade was here to visit and started me out on a summer of local trail hiking. I'm going to post more about her visit and the trails later (I swear!) but for now, I started the story of Tutka Bay a long time ago and should follow up.
So... the city of Homer has an annual Shorebird Festival. One of the outings available through the festival was a Cooking Adventure. I'm all for anything related to food so I signed up. We took a water taxi out to Tutka Bay were there is a beautiful lodge. The owner is a very successful chef and was offering a short cooking class, a prepared lunch and a group hike. It was a beautiful day with great company. Not sure how many times I've said this but one of the things I love about Alaska is that I meet the most adventurous, accomplished women here. Here are some pictures of our day...
HA! Just kidding. The pictures are not loaded to my profile so I'll have to go searching for them later. Just one of the reasons this blog has become a little neglected.
To be continued.

3 comments:

Karyn said...

What a treat! I'd love to take a tour there. I'm dying to know how they build a wooden building on top of a metal barge.

Debacled said...

That building caused BIG controversy with the neighbors. Apparently the owner built it because he had a sort of vision but no plan. He barged in a saw mill and a bunch of wood and would run the mill at all hours of the day and night. I think he must be a genius to have built that mostly on his own. I'm not sure about the technical stuff but I'll ask Christoph. He worked for the owner that summer and ended up building a good portion of it. Marianne actually sewed the linens and things.

little sister said...

i wish I could have come back for another visit but the reason I can't I wouldn't change for the world.
BUT this does mean that you and I will have to go back on vacation at some point and do lots of these things. We need to make a list starting with:
Take the ferry
take the train
take me on the food tour
Take me on the hand cart
the ice hotel
Juno
Yukon

...it's going to be a long trip